pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Toggling the Task Window?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Toggling the Task Window?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 04:00:49 +0000 (UTC)

walt <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 27 Mar 2007
01:34:28 +0000:

> When I click on 'Tasks' at the bottom left of the status bar, naturally
> I want to see the Tasks window -- what else!
>
> However, once I've seen the Tasks window and finished whatever business
> I had there, I invariably click a second time on 'Tasks' at the bottom
> left of the status bar, assuming that it will toggle OFF the Tasks
> window -- but no, it doesn't.
>
> Before I submit a new-feature request on the gnome.org bugs website, I'd
> like to get some feedback from you propeller-heads who hang out here.
>
> I think that many clickable icons should be toggle switches.  What do
> you think?

I like the idea.  From here, it's one of those profound ideas that are so
simple (in retrospect) I wonder why I didn't think of it. =8^)

However, I'm unsure how difficult it might be to implement.  I don't see
a reason it should be really hard, but the separate window close might
not be simple, either.  I'm also unsure whether it'd be acceptable within
the GTK/GNOME usability guidelines, given the fact that having it toggle
closed an entirely separate window (as opposed to closing that window
from itself) might be considered unintuitive to some.  Finally, I haven't
the foggiest what Charles might think about the idea.  I guess that's a
reflection of just how unique the idea is. (And yes, I really /do/ wish
I'd thought of it! =8^)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.  It's definitely "thinking outside the
box", as they say, but seems entirely logical once one thinks about it,
and as such, it should be interesting to see what the reaction of others
is. =8^)