pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How to fix "Unable to save ... Permission denied"?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How to fix "Unable to save ... Permission denied"?
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 23:06:18 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth posted on Sun, 29 Jan 2012 17:08:35 +0000 as excerpted:

>       I found a kludge. I managed to get giganews to reset my password;
> changed the newsserver setting to the new password; and that seems to've
> made things work again.
>
>       I suspect, of course, that I'm getting things through giganews
> that I'd do better to get direct from grc.com or opera.no. It's a
> stopgap, and iirc it's the French who have a proverb saying nothing is
> so permanent as a temporary solution. Am I setting myself up for
> oncoming disaster?

If they're indeed coming thru giganews, then that means giganews carries
the groups in question.  As long as it has reasonable propagation for
those groups, and if anyone should, giganews should, you'll be fine, even
if delayed by a few hours.  But some groups won't be propagated well as
they're not officially propagated at all, only "leaked".  While giganews
will with little down have the best feed of anyone for leaked groups,
you'd definitely be better getting them from the group's home server,
since propagation of individual posts will otherwise depend upon the more
or less random chance of it leaking.

And replying to posts you're getting via leaks is likely to be more
problematic still, since the path back to the home server may well be
even worse than the path from it to you.

But, keep in mind that pan 0.90+ is /designed/ to work reasonably
transparently with multiple servers -- as long as a group is carried on a
server according to its newsrc file, pan will try to fetch headers and
articles from that server.  Thus, for groups that giganews carries, even
under normal circumstances, you might get some of the posts from there,
especially if the home server is slow to respond or overloaded, for some
reason.  That'd be a quite normal situation.

And for posting, pan selects the server used to post based on a group's
default posting profile, as overridable per individual post.  Pan will
thus attempt to post to a server if it's the one in the posting profile
chosen, regardless of the status of the newsrc for that server.  As long
as you have the posting profile and news server information set
correctly, posting should happen to the profile's configured server
regardless of what else might be screwed up, so that shouldn't be an
issue, or if it is, it's an entirely separate issue from the newsrc issue
of this thread.

>       What I did before, btw, was to open servers.xml with gedit, and
> just tell it to find and replace btth with bttth everywhere.

That was probably fine... unless you were using btth as the username or
password somewhere, thus explaining why it was complaining about it.

But, depending on the exact sequence you used when you setup pan on bttth,
vs copying the files from btth, it's possible that you had a mix of files
from both, and that the sequence of the servers didn't match, so for
instance newsrc-1 could point to the giganews newsrc in one case and say
grc.com's newsrc in the other.  Straightening that out if I were doing it
locally wouldn't be a huge issue, but attempting to tell someone else how
to do it remotely... not so easy.  That's why I recommended simply
deleting both servers.xml and the newsrc-* files and starting over with a
new server config, because it's far simpler and less risky than trying to
figure out the situation and advise you how to edit it properly, remotely.

A simpler way of saying that is simply that the search and replace should
have worked fine.  That it didn't indicates that there's another unknown
issue that has thrown a monkey wrench into things, and finding and fixing
that unknown issue is difficult to do remotely.  The easier fallback is
to simply kill the screwed up bits entirely and reconfigure them.