pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] [ANNOUNCE] Pan release 0.158

From: glen walpert
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] [ANNOUNCE] Pan release 0.158
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 10:15:46 -0400

On 4/19/24 12:36 PM, Dominique Dumont wrote:
On Thursday, 18 April 2024 16:16:56 CEST glen walpert wrote:
0.157 and 0.158 both compile and run fine with Ubuntu 22.04 using the
snap version of cmake.  The apt version of cmake is outdated and will
not work.
Well, there's indeed a line with "cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.25)", but
I'm not sure that this requirement is really needed. It may work with cmake
3.22.

Could you remove this line and retry with Ubuntu's cmake ?

Removing the line produced an error, changing it to Ubuntu's cmake version 3.22 allowed it to run but produced an error message:

CMake Error: The source directory "test-strftime.c" does not exist.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:194 (try_run):
  Failed to configure test project build system.

CMake Error: TRY_COMPILE attempt to remove -rf directory that does not contain CMakeTmp:SOURCE_FROM_CONTENT

Switching back to the snap version of cmake 3.29.2 eliminated the error, build files written correctly.

I tested both ways on a fresh extraction of the downloaded zip.

, and oddly the -dev file for libgnutls30 is libgnutls28-dev,
and a sudo is required for Pan install.

To possibly save other Ubuntu users a bit of time:
This should be enough and will follow changes in Pan dependencies:

sudo apt-get build-dep pan
Thanks, that works much better.
That said, I'm not thrilled at the idea of documenting distro specific build
steps because there's a lot of distributions that may need specific docs.
Reasonable enough, but don't most of us amateurs use Ubuntu/debian? Perhaps a paragraph of hints for us?  Deleting the autotools references might be even more useful.
Setup and build per README.org instructions, but

To install pan - (added sudo):
#+BEGIN_SRC shell :results verbatim
    sudo cmake --install std-build
#+END_SRC
I don't really recommend using sudo to install, unless you absolutely trust
the software you're installing. Even then, installing from source is
experimental and may wreak your system if I made a mistake in the cmake files.
You should change the mode (or ACLs) of /usr/local to allow you to install
there. This will limit the blast radius if there's a problem with install.

Great idea, I will figure out how to do that when I have time.

Thanks,
Glen