Re: [Paparazzi-devel] HW

From: antoine . drouin
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] HW
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:19:02 +0200

Hi

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Seriosly, what is the difference of the actual project status, and
> putting the servo controller with GPS receiver piloting the servos
> with simple pids using angle/speed limitations.
> The FMA autopilot is placed between the servos and the controller.
> This is the simplest solution.  Instead of the FMA autopilot,
> a RC gyro can be used.

I tried this solution and could not get it to work.
The FMA behaviour will change from day to day with the contrast (meteo),
making it impossible to tune upper level control loops.

> The two CPU solution is a too heavy for such a simple solution, even
> if the IR sensors are handled directly by the servo MCU.

The two CPU solution is important for me as it allows to segregate the critical
code (the one that allows manual control) in one MCU and thus make it imune to
bugs in the other MCU. Over our two years of flight, we have been saved a couple
of times by this architecture.

I think the price of the mega8 (6 euros) is worth the added security.
Don't you?

> Reimplementing the FMA autopilot don't save mutch, because the additional
> Mega128 cpu and PBC. Annother thing is, that this type of UAV don't can be
> selled without a FMA autopilot for patent issues.

We are not reimplementing the FMA. We only have one sensor in common.
Our system is much more sophisticated and use a combination of GPS and infrared
data to navigate the plane - not just keep it level.

> I don't know the real goal of the paparazzi project.
> If is to support cheap UAV project letting them to add more sensors or
> payload, the way to make a generic gps controlled pid/servo controller, that
> can be used as servo controller and that can switch/fly autonomous the UAV
> is better.

Isn't that what we have ?

> Beside the prestige of
> having a uav, most of the UAV builder have a goal. This can be areal
> photography, boarder control, archeological (magnetometer) measurements and
> so on. The goal is important for choosing the right sensor package.

I think you may be confusing payload sensors and autopilot sensors

Regards

Antoine