Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Wireless link

From: Pat Hickey
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Wireless link
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:31:51 -0400

Hello Marcio,

If that chip is as seamless a UART to WiFi bridge as the details on
that website lead me to believe, your biggest hurdle will be to
interface the ground station server software to accept the other end
of that connection. The easiest way would be if you ran a program on
your ground station laptop which allowed the IP connection to appear
as a named pipe - the ground station software should be able to talk
to such a pipe with minimal trouble. See if the manufacturer provides
code to do that, or at least a Linux api of some sort. If you feel
comfortable with C programming and don't mind learning a little OCaml
I might work with you on in

For what its worth my biggest issue at the field lately has been
relying on ad-hoc wifi for communicating with my linux-based Paparazzi
(1)  system. Unless you have a need for wifi that can't be filled with
the more popular and reliable xbee systems, you may want to avoid it.

Pat

1. http://moreproductive.org/autopilot/ - Still experimental, but I've
ported the airborne software to a single board linux computer so that
I can use things like wifi and USB cameras. If you're trying to do
sophisticated things with wifi it may interest you, but first-class
support for wifi telemetry is still forthcoming. Its next on my todo
list, but I've been focusing on IMU integration lately.