Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi EKF- and compelmentary- filter

From: Andrew S
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi EKF- and compelmentary- filter
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 19:07:01 +0400

Hi
For my view, EKF is unnecessary as it loads microcontroller. You can use even
simple PI controller. It works worse than EKF, but quite well. For good results
PI regulator should be adjusted for 10 seconds of correction after 180 degrees
error. Also I can say cheap two axis gyros by ST are unusable because of cross
axis interference and whey do not have tolerancy against vibration.
Complementary one axis Z-gyros are better.
For correct angles EKF is not a solution, you need for example Directional
cosine matrices for calculations between body and earth frames. The problem is
that gyros works in the body frame, but accelerometers works in the earth
frame. In fact when pitch is near 90 degrees, the roll gyro indicates jaw :)
EKF will not helps for this.
Andrew