[Paparazzi-devel] Umarim testing

From: David Conger
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Umarim testing
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:52:00 -0800

Hello Paparazzi,

I have assembled by hand a Umarim for testing. Using PCBs from the Gerbers
posted on the Wiki. Despite the comment left I was able to solder by hand the
ITG3200 without issue. I have heard others doing the same without issues
(FWIW).

I made a programming cable and bind plug following the WIki notes. It accepted
the boot loader just like TWOG, Tiny, YAPA2. I then made a USB program cable
again following notes from the Wiki. It accepted my airframe code and I got
blinking LED.

Now for the interesting parts. When I used only a cable from my FTDI utility
board (equivalent would be the FTDI->serial cable) I was able to launch GCS and
verify in messages all sensors were working.

PNG image

However, when I connected a Paparazzi GPS13 board to the UART0 connector per
the Wiki the GCS was blank. I see this message in 'dmesg' output:
"[171004.996161] ttyUSB0: 1 input overrun(s)".

The way to restore normal communications was not a reset. All attempts and
permutations of reprogramming (USB) and power off/on failed to restore serial
communications. I then re-upload the bootldr and then another program to
restore communications. I also had to connect the FTDI board to UART1 after
power up of the Umarim. In other words if anything was connected to the Umarim
at power up serial communications fail. If I connected UART1 (serial comm) and
GPS UART0 after power up it was fine.

Is there any comments how to test and see what the issue is? Why Umarim must
have nothing connected to UART0/UART1 when powering up? The screen shot above
was take when powered this way. Power up, then attach serial converter to UART1
and launch GCS. Umarim is flat so the PFD is correct. The plot shows my moving
the Umarim at many orientations to make the plot more interesting. The baro I
don't understand but maybe it's because I use the wrong definition for the baro
in the airframe file. I'm using:     <load name="airspeed_ads1114.xml"/>.

Regards,
David Conger