Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Suggestions

From: Michal Podhradsky
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Suggestions
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:59:39 +0100

Hi Poine,

we are working on RT Paparazzi (you can check out the current branch (https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/tree/rt_paparazzi) and we currently have real time rotorcraft firmware. Partially because the code and control loops was designed in quite a neat way.

However, now we are developing real time fixedwing firmware and you are right, the burden of history is present. The best way to fix this would be refactoring the fixedwing code (e.g. autopilot structure, control loops etc.) to follow similar style as rotorcraft.

Benefits are way clearer code, possibly performance improvements and also easier change of the control loops/navigation routines (imagine you want to use your own control loop). Unfortunately it is a lot of work and lot of the code will have to be marked as obsolete.

I started with the refactoring, once I am far enough I am happy to share, in the meantime I would appreciate suggestions/thoughts on the idea.

Regards
Michal