Re: What do you use GNU Parallel for?

From: Jon Wilson
Subject: Re: What do you use GNU Parallel for?
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:45:11 -0400

On 08/22/2012 02:08 AM, Ole Tange wrote:
> I have been invited as a speaker. For my talk I would like to give
> people an idea of how diverse the uses of GNU Parallel are.
>
> So please write a few lines about the tasks you use it for -
> especially if you have reason to believe you are one of the few doing
> that kind of thing. If you want to be anonymous you can write me
> directly, but otherwise use the mailing list.
>

> /Ole

I use parallel for a variety of tasks in high energy physics.  While a
grad student, I built a small compute cluster for my advisors' group,
and used parallel to run analysis jobs on it to process data and Monte
Carlo simulations as part of a search for the Higgs boson at the Tevatron.

I also use it for a variety of system administration tasks and smaller
scale data analysis programs in my current studies of the top quark.

Thank you for creating and maintaining the perfect tool for the jobs I
need to do, Ole and all other contributors.
Regards,
Jon Wilson