AW: Graceful Process / Script Termination

From: Nachtigall, Jens (I/EK-Z6)
Subject: AW: Graceful Process / Script Termination
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 10:34:51 +0000

Thanks for the feedback and for looking into it / opening a ticket!
I have no experience in Perl at all, I'm afraid. This is why I wasn't able to
dig deeper into your code.

Indeed, my use-case is dependent on the termination sequence. Yet, I can honor
a fixed termination signal for the toolchain to use.
Can you remind me / document what the default termination signal for remote
jobs is? What signal does the remote wrapper send to remotely spawned processes
if not default?

Regarding behavior documentation:
When cancelling GNU Parallel running remote jobs, it returns immediately.
Indicated on
https://www.gnu.org/software/parallel/parallel_design.html#The-remote-system-wrapper,
 there is the "Remote Wrapper" which acts as a fallback mechanism to terminate
remote jobs. Yet, there is no feedback channel for GNU Parallel to know when
the remote processes actually stopped thus it returns immediately upon CTRL-C.
This leaves the impression as if nothing happened although I know that
terminating my remote jobs takes about 20 - 30 seconds while on local instances
GNU Parallel blocks until the jobs are terminated properly.

As I came across the "parallel_design" page fairly late, maybe linking it here
https://www.gnu.org/software/parallel/man.html#EXAMPLE:-Using-remote-computers
would have saved some time on experimenting.

All the best
Jens

INTERNAL