platform-testers

[platform-testers] new snapshot available: grep-2.25.92-f3e9

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: grep-2.25.92-f3e9
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 20:25:53 -0700

We are nearly ready to make a new release, so here's a snapshot of the
latest. Please try it on any unusual system you can find and let us
know about any test failure (success is good to hear about, too).

Note that this and future announcements will be going to the new
grep-devel mailing list,
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/grep-devel, rather than to the
bug-grep list.

A big "Thank you!" to Paul Eggert, Norihiro Tanaka and Zev Weiss for
the many fixes and improvements in the impending release.

Here is the list of "NEWS" items for the upcoming release:
** Bug fixes

  Grep no longer omits output merely because it follows an output line
  suppressed due to encoding errors.  [bug introduced in grep-2.21]

** Improvements

  grep can be much faster now when standard output is /dev/null.

  grep -F is now typically much faster when many patterns are given,
  as it now uses the Aho-Corasick algorithm instead of the
  Commentz-Walter algorithm in that case.

  grep -iF is typically much faster in a multibyte locale, if the
  pattern and its case counterparts contain only single byte characters.

  grep with complicated expressions (e.g., back-references) and without
  -i now uses the regex fastmap for better performance.

  In multibyte locales, grep now handles leading "." in patterns more
  efficiently.

  grep now prints a "FILENAME:LINENO: " prefix when diagnosing an
  invalid regular expression that was read from an '-f'-specified file.

=========================
grep snapshot:
  http://meyering.net/grep/grep-ss.tar.xz      1.3 MB
  http://meyering.net/grep/grep-ss.tar.xz.sig
  http://meyering.net/grep/grep-2.25.92-f3e9.tar.xz

Changes in grep since v2.25:

Arnold Robbins (1):
      dfa: port to C90

Jim Meyering (17):
      maint: post-release administrivia
      maint: avoid NEWS syntax-check failure
      maint: do not let a LANGUAGE envvar setting perturb tests
      doc: omit an excess word in HACKING
      tests: add coreutils' perl-driven test framework
      grep: print "filename:lineno:" in invalid-regex diagnostic
      tests/backref-multibyte-slow:: avoid false positive
      tests: standardize on 10-second timeouts to avoid rare false failure
      tests: pcre-jitstack: avoid false failure without base64 -d support
      maint: avoid new "make syntax-check" failure
      gnulib: update to latest
      maint: avoid new 'make syntax-check' failure
      maint: switch from gnulib's progname to getprogname module
      gnulib: update to latest, for getprogname fixes
      gnulib: update to latest, for new dfa module
      dfa: reflect move of grep's DFA code to gnulib
      gnulib: update to latest

Norihiro Tanaka (22):
      dfa: prefer bool at DFA interfaces
      dfa: stop exporting internal functions
      grep: -F multiword longest match not always needed
      grep: use memchr2 for two patterns of a character
      dfa: more simplification of dfaexec_main
      dfa: simplify for non-POSIX locales
      dfa: don't distingish letter in non-POSIX locales
      grep: fix -F crash when alternating duplicates
      dfa: fix whitespace problems
      grep: always match single line only with DFA superset
      dfa: minor fix for whether dfa is "fast"
      dfa: improve leading "." with non-UTF8 multibyte
      grep: speed up -iF in multibyte locales
      dfa: use single-byte algorithm even in non-UTF-8
      dfa: avoid invalid character matching period
      dfa: remove separation by context in transition in non-UTF8
multibyte locales
      tests: add a new test for SJIS locale
      dfa: simplify to find state index for state 0
      dfa: simplify and optimize at initial state in execution
      dfa: use single-byte algorithm even in non-UTF-8
      dfa: additional change new option for anchored searches
      dfa: additional change new option for anchored searches

Paul Eggert (38):
      grep: /dev/null output speedup
      dfa: speed up checking for character boundary
      dfa: prefer bool for boolean
      grep: use Aho-Corasick algorithm to search multiple fixed words
      grep: minor cleanups for -F Aho-Corasick
      grep: simplify -F Aho-Corasick a bit
      maint: correct attribution
      tests: fix similar bug in exit status test
      doc: remove obsolete MS-DOS mention
      doc: propagate more changes from grep.texi
      dfa: minor cleanups for non-POSIX simplification
      dfa: don't treat null bytes specially
      dfa: fix comments to match code better
      grep: minor style changes for -F crash fix
      maint: modernize HACKING a bit
      dfa: fix context newline confusion
      dfa: port to C90
      dfa: minor refactoring and doc fixes
      dfa: avoid uninitialized constants
      dfa: use 64-bit when ulong is at least that wide
      grep: prefer bitwise to short-circuit when shorter
      grep: tune list_files conversion to enum
      grep: minor tweaks of initial buffer alloc
      dfa: minor thread-safety cleanups
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      dfa: make dfa.c fully thread-safe
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      grep: avoid code duplication with -iF
      dfa: document previous change
      grep: improve dfasearch storage management
      grep: use regex fastmap unless -i
      grep: update NEWS
      dfa: new option for anchored searches
      dfa: merge xalloc.h changes from Gawk
      dfa: minor cleanup of previous change
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      doc: define "context lines"
      grep: encoding errors suppress just their line

Zev Weiss (14):
      tests: fix bug in exit status test
      maint: mark a couple of static variables const
      maint: replace bitwise with logical OR
      grep: correct a stale comment and remove dead code
      grep: convert list_files to an enum
      grep: remove unnecessary dirdesc variable.
      grep: do pagesize initialization and buffer allocation earlier
      dfa: thread-safety: remove dfa.c's "dfa" global
      dfa: thread-safety: move lexer state into struct dfa
      dfa: thread-safety: move parser state into struct dfa
      dfa: thread-safety: move regex syntax configuration into struct dfa
      dfa: thread-safety: eliminate static local variables
      dfa: thread-safety: initialize mbrtowc_cache in dfa_init
      dfa: constify some function parameters

Changes in gnulib since v2.25:

* gnulib b7bc3c1...a512e04 (128):