platform-testers

Re: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: coreutils-8.31.90-cc4c.ta

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: coreutils-8.31.90-cc4c.tar.xz
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 21:57:55 +0000

On 27/02/2020 20:16, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
Pádraig Brady writes:

Hello Pádraig,

We plan to release coreutils-8.32 in the coming week
so any testing you can do on various different systems between now and then
would be most welcome.

It builds fine, and reproducibly on Guix System (current master;
ba8992d28b1616d05b7cb04ef032944c5d19cd5a); build log attached.

Guix has been disabling tests/misc/env-S.pl

     ;; This test hits the 127 character shebang limit in the build
     ;; environment due to the way "env -S" splits arguments into
     ;; shebangs.  Note that "env-S-script.sh" works around this
     ;; specific issue, but "env-S.pl" is not adjusted for build
     ;; environments with long prefixes (/tmp/guix-build-...).
     (substitute* "Makefile"
       (("^.*tests/misc/env-S.pl.*$") ""))

I don't immediately see the issue with env-S.pl TBH

so I guess this is expected, and that hasn't changed.

Would you be willing to also provide a GZIP compressed version of future
sed releases too? (patch attached).

Since coreutils-8.14 (2011), only XZ tarball releases were provided.
This is not a problem but still unfortunate; it makes 8.13 (2011)
currently the latest version that we can use to build first in our
ongoing efforts to create a full source bootstrap of the GNU (Guix)
System. Only a few GNU packages have this new bootstrap "problem";
I am happy that GNU Sed re-started issuing gzip releases recently
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/sed-devel/2020-01/msg00016.html).

For some background see this blog post
https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/guix-reduces-bootstrap-seed-by-50/, the
next reduction will remove programs like sed from the bootstrap seed.
XZ can only be built after we have a fairly recent GCC and glibc.

Interesting. Would xz require much tweaking to target older systems?

Given coreutils is quite fundamental, let's provide a gzipped tarball for now.
Pushed that change at:
https://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=coreutils.git;a=commitdiff;h=v8.31-91-g516cdf38a

thanks for testing!
Pádraig