poke-devel

Re: assert() inside type x = struct { ...

From: apache2
Subject: Re: assert() inside type x = struct { ...
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 14:56:13 +0200

> What do you think about chaning the `format` to be an expression of type
> `int`?
> That way users can do something like this:
>
> ```poke
> struct
> {
>   int field1;
>   int field2;
>
>   var a_descriptive_variable_name = assert (some_condition, "...");
> };
>
> ```
>
> If you agree with this, I can send the patch.

Hmm, does that mean that regular
  assert(1);
would trigger a compiler warning that the user is throwing away the result?
it would kind of make sense/be useful if assert() would return the result, like:
  var not_zero = assert(2+2);
  // not zero == 4

An alternative might be to allow casting "void" to int like:
  var myvar = assert(1) as int;