pspp-users

Re: pspp-1.6.0 released, 1.6 windows

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: pspp-1.6.0 released, 1.6 windows
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 22:40:45 +0200

PSPP is part of the GNU project, and the primary purpose of the GNU project
is to provide a 100% free operating system.   From that point of view, Windows
binaries are *irrelevant*.   Source code is always more important that binaries
because you can produce a binary from the source code, but the reverse is not
possible.

Having said that, however, it is common for GNU programs to be built to operate
on non-free systems (such as windows).  There is no reason why people shouldn't
help do that task, because it makes a Windows (a non-free system) slightly less
non-free.  But the GNU project's take on such argument is that "slightly
non-free"
is like saying "slightly pregnant".  A system is either free or it is not.

So if you wish to help provide binaries for a non-free system you are welcome to
do so, and we can and do provide links to those binaries in case people want to
use them.   Emphasis however will always be in the order:

1.  GNU/Linux
2.  Other free systems.
3.  Non-free systems.

J'