pspp-users

AW: Sorting by variable name

From: Quandt, Markus
Subject: AW: Sorting by variable name
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 07:36:31 +0000

If you refer to the variable names marked in yellow, I guess it is capitalization. First all uppercase letters, then lowercase.  Whether that is a standard sorting criterion or not is not standardized between software programs, but Unix culture – which I think is showing through in PSPP, but much less in SPSS? – would mandate that capitalization matters.

Now, PSPP *does* follow the SPSS convention in not allowing “TestVar” and “testvar” as two variable names in the same data set, because they are NOT different, whereas “TestVar” and “testvar2” would obviously appear in very different places in a sorted variable list, because they are QUITE different. Do I find that a little inconsistent? -> Oh yes 😊.

Ein Bild, das Text, Screenshot, Zahl enthält.

Automatisch generierte Beschreibung

Best, Markus