[RFC 0/3] Add Generic SPI GPIO model

From: Iris Chen
Subject: [RFC 0/3] Add Generic SPI GPIO model
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 16:23:19 -0700

Hey everyone,

I have been working on a project to add support for SPI-based TPMs in QEMU.
Currently, most of our vboot platforms using a SPI-based TPM use the Linux
SPI-GPIO driver to "bit-bang" the SPI protocol. This is because the Aspeed
SPI controller (modeled in QEMU under hw/ssi/aspeed_smc.c) has an
implementation
deficiency that prevents bi-directional operations. Thus, in order to connect
a TPM to this bus, my patch implements a QEMU SPI-GPIO driver (as the QEMU
counterpart of the Linux SPI-GPIO driver).

As we use SPI-based TPMs on many of our BMCs for the secure-boot
implementation,
I have already tested this implementation locally with our Yosemite-v3.5
platform
and Facebook-OpenBMC. This model was tested by connecting a generic SPI-NOR
(m25p80
for example) to the Yosemite-v3.5 SPI bus containing the TPM.

This patch is an RFC because I have several questions about design. Although the
model is working, I understand there are many areas where the design decision
is not deal (ie. abstracting hard coded GPIO values). Below are some details of
the
patch and specific areas where I would appreciate feedback on how to make this
better:

hw/arm/aspeed.c:
I am not sure where the best place is to instantiate the spi_gpio besides the
aspeed_machine_init. Could we add the ability to instantiate it on the command
line?

m25p80_transfer8_ex in hw/block/m25p80.c:
Existing SPI model assumed that the output byte is fully formed, can be passed
the SPI device, and the input byte can be returned, all in one operation. With
SPI-GPIO we don't have the input byte until all 8 bits of the output have been
shifted out, so we have to prime the MISO with bogus values (0xFF).

MOSI pin in spi_gpio: the mosi pin is not included and we poll the realtime
value
of the gpio for input bits to prevent bugs with caching the mosi value. It was
discovered
during testing that when using the mosi pin as the input pin, the mosi value
was not
being updated due to a kernel and aspeed_gpio model optimization. Thus, here we
are
reading the value directly from the gpio controller instead of waiting for the
push.

I realize there are Aspeed specifics in the spi_gpio model. To make this
extensible,
is it preferred to make this into a base class and have our Aspeed SPI GPIO
extend
this or we could set up params to pass in the constructor?

Thanks for your review and any direction here would be helpful :)

Iris Chen (3):
  hw: m25p80: add prereading ability in transfer8
  hw: spi_gpio: add spi gpio model
  hw: aspeed: hook up the spi gpio model

 hw/arm/Kconfig            |   1 +
 hw/arm/aspeed.c           |   5 ++
 hw/block/m25p80.c         |  29 ++++++-
 hw/ssi/Kconfig            |   4 +
 hw/ssi/meson.build        |   1 +
 hw/ssi/ssi.c              |   4 -
 include/hw/ssi/spi_gpio.h |  38 +++++++++
 include/hw/ssi/ssi.h      |   5 ++
 create mode 100644 hw/ssi/spi_gpio.c
 create mode 100644 include/hw/ssi/spi_gpio.h

--
2.30.2