Re: [PULL 00/28] Block layer patches

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/28] Block layer patches
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 16:08:27 -0400

On Tue, 19 Sept 2023 at 06:26, Kevin Wolf <kwolf@redhat.com> wrote:
> Am 18.09.2023 um 20:56 hat Stefan Hajnoczi geschrieben:
> If we could fully get rid of the AioContext lock (as we originally
> stated as a goal), that would automatically solve this kind of
> deadlocks.

Grepping for "ctx locked", "context acquired", etc does not bring up a
lot of comments describing variables that are protected by the
AioContext lock.

However, there are at least hundreds of functions that assume they are
called with the AioContext lock held.

There are a few strategies:

Top-down
--------
Shorten AioContext lock critical sections to cover only APIs that need them.
Then push the lock down into the API and repeat the next lower level until
aio_context_acquire() + AIO_WAIT_WHILE() + aio_context_release() can be
replaced with AIO_WAIT_UNLOCKED().

Bottom-up
---------
Switch AIO_WAIT_WHILE() to aio_context_release() + AIO_WAIT_WHILE_UNLOCKED() +
aio_context_acquire(). Then move the lock up into callers and repeat at the
next higher level until aio_context_acquire() + aio_context_release() cancel
each other out.

Big bang
--------
Remove aio_context_acquire/release() and fix tests until they pass.

I think top-down is safer than bottom-up, because bottom-up is more
likely to cause issues with callers that do not tolerate temporarily
dropping the lock.

The big bang approach is only reasonable if the AioContext lock is no
longer used to protect variables (which we don't know for sure because
that requires auditing every line of code).

My concern with the top-down approach is that so much code needs to be
audited and the conversions are temporary steps (it's almost a waste
of time for maintainers to review them).

I'm tempted to go for the big bang approach but also don't want to
introduce a slew of new race conditions. :/

Stefan