Re: [RFC 0/3] aio-posix: call ->poll_end() when removing AioHandler

From: Hanna Czenczek
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/3] aio-posix: call ->poll_end() when removing AioHandler
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 17:55:52 +0100

On 02.01.24 16:53, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
On Tue, Jan 2, 2024 at 4:24 PM Hanna Czenczek <hreitz@redhat.com> wrote:
I’ve attached the preliminary patch that I didn’t get to send (or test
much) last year.  Not sure if it has the same CPU-usage-spike issue
Fiona was seeing, the only functional difference is that I notify the vq
after attaching the notifiers instead of before.
I think the patch makes sense and cleaning up the logic of aio_poll
(which is one of those functions that grew and grew without much
clarity into who did what) can be done on top.

Just one small thing, the virtio_queue_notify_vq() call is required
because the virtqueue interrupt and eventfd are edge-triggered rather
than level-triggered; so perhaps it should be placed in the
function(s) that establish the handlers,
virtio_queue_aio_attach_host_notifier() and
virtio_queue_aio_attach_host_notifier_no_poll()? Neither
virtio_blk_drained_end() nor virtio_scsi_drained_end() are
particularly special, and the comment applies just as well:

    /*
     * We will have ignored notifications about new requests from the guest
     * while handlers were not attached, so "kick" the virt queue to process
     * those requests now.
     */

I wasn’t entirely whether we want to call notify_vq() if we have instated the handlers for the first time (in which case someone ought to look for existing unprocessed requests anyway), so I decided to limit it to drained_end.

But considering that it must be safe to call notify_vq() right after instating the handlers (virtio_queue_host_notifier_read() may then be called after all), we might as well do so every time, yes.

Hanna