Re: [RFC 0/3] aio-posix: call ->poll_end() when removing AioHandler

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/3] aio-posix: call ->poll_end() when removing AioHandler
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 14:35:44 +0100

On 1/3/24 12:40, Fiona Ebner wrote:
I'm happy to report that I cannot reproduce the CPU-usage-spike issue
with the patch, but I did run into an assertion failure when trying to
verify that it fixes my original stuck-guest-IO issue. See below for the
backtrace [0]. Hanna wrote in https://issues.redhat.com/browse/RHEL-3934

I think it’s sufficient to simply call virtio_queue_notify_vq(vq)
after the virtio_queue_aio_attach_host_notifier(vq, ctx) call, because
both virtio-scsi’s and virtio-blk’s .handle_output() implementations
acquire the device’s context, so this should be directly callable from
any context.

I guess this is not true anymore now that the AioContext locking was
removed?

Good point and, in fact, even before it was much safer to use virtio_queue_notify() instead. Not only does it use the event notifier handler, but it also calls it in the right thread/AioContext just by doing event_notifier_set().

The call to virtio_queue_set_notification(..., 1) is safe; not sure about the call to virtio_queue_set_notification(..., 0) though. I'd rather have that executed synchronously in the AioContext using aio_wait_bh_oneshot(). This is consistent with the pattern used by virtio_scsi_dataplane_stop() and virtio_blk_data_plane_stop().

Paolo