qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] wiki.qemu.org

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] wiki.qemu.org
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:35:01 -0600

On 01/29/2010 03:47 PM, Stefan Weil wrote:
Hi,

it's great to have an "official" QEMU wiki.
What will happen with http://qemu.kidsquid.com/?

I don't know. It's certainly provided a great service over the years. I see no reason not to continue to link to it and if people want to move content in either direction, that would be okay to.

Before removing the texi documents, there should
be solutions for these topics:

* How do we get a man page for a certain qemu release?

* How do we get online documentation for a certain qemu release?

* How do we get offline documentation (html without internet access)?

* How do we get printed documentation which looks nice?

All good points. Personally, I think there are two types of documentation. There is exhaustive option documentation which covers things like the monitor commands and the command line options. This documentation should continue to live in the git tree IMHO and we should continue to generate man pages and online help from this source.

Then I think there is user documentation. This is documentation that is more oriented to guide a user through what they should and shouldn't do and most importantly, how to solve problems on their own. This think this later category is where a wiki shines.

I think qemu-img-cmds.hx, qemu-monitor.hx, and qemu-options.hx definitely fall into the first category. I think qemu-doc.texi and qemu-tech.texi fall into the second category. I think the remaining texi files live in both worlds.

The wiki provides online documentation. It can do this for
several qemu releases, too. But maintainance of serveral
pages which are nearly identical will be difficult.
Applying documentation patches to qemu releases is easier.

For man pages, offline or printed documentation (needed for
distributions), the texi documents work well. I see no
easy way to replace them.

Therefore I'd keep the texi documentation.

Instead of adding an external link to the wiki,
it should be possible to create mediawiki output
from texi. This output could be copied to the
qemu wiki using copy+paste, or maybe it is also
possible to create mediawiki pages automatically
on demand.

That's an interesting thought although it probably requires translating texi into a more friendly intermediary first.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori