qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Submitting a change...?

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Submitting a change...?
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 00:40:41 +0100

On 08.03.2010, at 23:38, Rob Earhart wrote:

> So, I have a patch I'd like to submit.  It's pretty simple - when using a
> differencing disk and loading a snapshot, it includes the backing disks in
> the search.  It seems to work fine on my machine.
>
> I'm not sure what the procedure for submitting changes is; it's been a long
> time since I've contributed to an open source project.  I used "git clone" to
> pull down the source and make my modifications; "git diff HEAD" appears to be
> reasonable, "git commit --dry-run" appears to correctly identify the modified
> files... but I don't know what comes next.  :-)
>
> So now what?  Would running "git commit" do the right thing?  Should I
> generate a diff and send the output somewhere for review and possible
> approval?  Something else?

Try

$ git commit -a

Enter a proper patch description. Make sure you add a signed-off-by line in the
end. The first line of the patch description is the subject.

$ git format-patch origin/master -o /tmp/patch
$ git send-email --to address@hidden /tmp/patch/*

You might need to fiddle with git send-email a bit to actually make it send
mails using your MTA. If you think it's not worth the effort, send the patch
using a different mailer, but chances are pretty good the result ends up being
broken.

Alex