qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Summer of Code 2010

From: Luiz Capitulino
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Summer of Code 2010
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:33:16 -0300

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:31:23 +0100 (CET)
Johannes Schindelin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
>
> >  Google has this wonderful program called Summer of Code, in which open
> > source projects like ours, suggest possible projects and provide mentors
> > to help selected students to do them.
> >
> >  It's a great opportunity for students to get in touch with open source
> > development, also good for us to get some projects done and more people
> > involved (students are paid too, btw).
>
> Note that some students do not finish up their work, do not get properly
> involved with the project, get the pay check, and then go somewhere else.
> The time of the mentor is quite possibly just wasted in such a case. Quite
> frustrating experience, believe me.

 I think that the role of the mentor is close to that of a teacher, from
this pov, it's not just wasted time at all (even if the project 'fails').

 Now, I understand what you mean and I fell sorry (and slightly bad)
about it, as my project didn't take the right direction.

 That said, I think that _part_ of the problem is about having the right
expectations and realistic goals.