qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] wake-on-lan & IPMI implementation; real power-off and -

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] wake-on-lan & IPMI implementation; real power-off and -no-shutdown
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:51:30 -0500

On 03/15/2010 10:37 AM, François Revol wrote:
Le Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:26:24 +0000, Paul Brook a écrit :
Ideally this would evolve into supporting IPMI, which would allow
managing VMs exactly like physical servers without concern, appart
launching the actual process first.
cf.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Platform_Management_Interface
http://openipmi.sourceforge.net/
Anyone interested in this ?
Anyone tried already ?
TBH I don't really see the point.

This definitely seems like something that should be handled by your
your
mangement app (via libvirt, or whatever). i.e. have that implement
whatever
remote protocol you want, and just talk to qemu over the normal
monitor
interface.
Hmm for IPMI that might probably indeed be a better way, moreover since
they use a parallel subnet on the primary ethernet card...
Though it would require the implementation to listen to the same
virtual card, which are mapped differently to the host depending on the
VM (-net user, ...).

As for WOL, it would still be handy to have I think... btw, do we
support suspending the emulation via ACPI ? VirtualBox has something
called "Pause" mode, which I'm not sure actually if it's reflected to
ACPI, which allows to avoid wasting cpu when not usign the guest,
though it requires support from the Guest Additions to avoid clock
drifts.

It's just "stop".

It won't cause time drift in qemu when using pvclock but you will get soft lockups in Linux. I presume you get that with Virtual Box too.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

François.