qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio block device and sysfs

From: john cooper
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio block device and sysfs
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:59:20 -0400

Marc Haber wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 02:26:11AM -0400, john cooper wrote:
This is a tad ironic as that is how this saga begun.  Namely stuffing
20 bytes of serial number string into the virtio-blk PCI config space
on qemu's side and pushing it over to the guest driver.  I exposed this
to the guest app via a new ioctl cmd which itself was the original
point of contention.  Someone took issue with introducing a new
interface citing the existence of ATA and SCSI counterparts.  However
dragging in the associated baggage in order to emulate those interfaces
unintentionally bloated usage of the config space to the point of breakage.
To address this I'd moved from using config space to an unused BAR which
(understandably) didn't go over too well.  Somewhere along the line Rusty
posted a minimal alternative version which directly used a virtio request
to retrieve the data from qemu which is arguably the right way to do the
job.

*argh* That sounds like politics.

Well, maybe.  But it is hard to argue with anyone calling the
ATA_IDENTIFY interface ugly -- it is.

Concerning qemu->virtio_blk communication, I don't think an
argument to use PCI config space exists after one looks at
the implementation of adding a new virtio request.

That said we still had a dispute over what interface would be used to
pass the S/N back to the guest: a new interface or reuse of an existing
interface (eg: ATA IDENTIFY).  That's where things fizzled when we
couldn't immediately resolve the issue.  So publishing the S/N in
/sys would seem to side step this snag.

Re-using an existing interface would probable make it easier for
non-Linux OSses to also take advantage of this, since their ATA driver
is already there.

Exactly my singular motivation and honestly the only redeeming
quality of propagating that crusty interface.

I could have swore I sent out a guest-driver-app-interface-less
version of the patch using virtio to pass the S/N but didn't find it in
the archives.  I did however locate it and can bring it forward as a
reference for the above if interest exists.

If it brings the issue forward and gives me hope to be able to do what
I want to do in a reasonable time frame, why not.

Just time.  But I'll resurrect the patch so we don't have to go through
all of this again.

-john

--
address@hidden