qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [libvirt] Supporting hypervisor specific APIs in li

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [libvirt] Supporting hypervisor specific APIs in libvirt
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 00:28:15 +0000

Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 03/24/2010 02:32 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> >>You don't get a directory filled with a zillion socket files pointing
> >>at dead guests.  Agree that's a poor return on investment.
> >

> >Deleting it on atexit combined with flushing the whole directory at
> >startup is a pretty reasonable solution to this (which is ultimately
> >how the entirety of /var/run behaves).
> >
> >If you're really paranoid, you can fork() a helper with a shared pipe
> >to implement unlink on close.
>
> My paranoia comes nowhere near to my dislike of forked helpers.

Use clone() then, it's cheaper ;-)

Anyway, Linux at least *does* have unlink-on-exit unix sockets: use
the abstract unix namespace.

Enumeration is a different problem from being able to connect to an
instance, and there are several approaches to enumerating multiple
running instances.

One of the most well known at the moment is mDNS service discovery,
and each instance registering with freedesktop's Avahi enumeration
service.

-- Jamie