qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] 答复: 答复: 答复: 答复: quest ion about performance of dataplane

From: Zhangleiqiang
Subject: [Qemu-devel] 答复: 答复: 答复: 答复: quest ion about performance of dataplane
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:06:17 +0000

OK, I will also wait for Stefan's confirmation, :)

> >      These two advantages will always be effective whether the vcpus
> > is more than host's cores or not.
>
> I would say that the advantage is effective as far as at least one vcpu
> thread executing guest I/O runs simultaneously with the back-end
> I/O thread (each thread on a different core).
>

> > But why the advantage of dataplane
> > is only so obvious when vcpus is more than host's cores?
>
> Maybe the issue is related to the fact that no-dataplane experiences
> more bottlenecks when your run more and more VCPU threads. So it not
> that dataplane performs better with more VCPUs, the issue is that
> no-dataplane performs worse with more VCPUs.

I think maybe Anthony is right. In previous benchmarks, maybe the non-dataplane
already reached the physical disk's IOPS upper limit.

So I did another benchmark which ensures the vcpus is less than the host's
cores, but also make continuous IO pressure by one VM when testing in the other
VM. The result showed that dataplane did have some advantage over non-dataplane.

1. IO Pressure Mode:  8 worker, 16K IO size, 25% Read, 100% Random,  and 50
outstanding IO
2. Benchmark Mode:  8 worker, 16K IO size, 0% Read,  100% Random,  and 50
outstanding IO
2. Testing Results:
        a). IOPS:       178.324867 (non-dataplane)  vs  230.956328 (dataplane)
        b). MBPS:       2.786326 (non-dataplane)  vs  3.608693 (dataplane)

Leiqzhang

Best Regards