qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] SoftFloat licensing in Linux kernel

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] SoftFloat licensing in Linux kernel
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 14:10:38 +0100

On 29 April 2013 14:04, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
> Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:
>> ...rats, looks like (a) the license change was earlier, at
>> the upstream version 2->2b boundary and (b) QEMU's softfloat
>> is based on 2b, not 2 (as the kernel's is.)
>
> The kernel code is quite different than the QEMU code too.  Looks like
> it would be quite a lot of work to switch to the kernel implementation.

We don't necessarily need to switch to the kernel's code
and then unpick all the changes they've made over the years --
we could start with upstream v2 instead I guess.

(Ideally where there have been changes we've made since,
like the fused-multiply-add support and NaN handling
changes we could try to get those contributors to relicense
so we can just reapply that bit. I don't know how you do
the mechanics of this in a legally solid way, though.)

-- PMM