qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding a persistent writeback cache to qemu

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding a persistent writeback cache to qemu
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:20:40 +0200

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Sage Weil <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2013, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> I'm not really sure what the best path forward is.  Putting the
> functionality in qemu would benefit lots of other storage backends,
> putting it in librbd would capture various other librbd users (xen, tgt,
> and future users like hyper-v), and using new kernels works today but
> creates a lot of friction for operations.

If this is a common Ceph performance bottleneck, then librbd is a good
place to put it.

I believe you don't have to go over the external network with Gluster
or pNFS if data is colocated on the same host, because they talk
directly to the storage node.  (There are probably configurations
where this isn't possible though.)

Stefan