qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-block] [PULL for-2.8 0/3] Block patches for -rc3

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-block] [PULL for-2.8 0/3] Block patches for -rc3
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 09:11:41 -0600

On 12/06/2016 04:04 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

>> Prasanna Kumar Kalever (3):
>>   block/gluster: fix QMP to match debug option
>>   block/nfs: fix QMP to match debug option
>>   qemu-doc: update gluster protocol usage guide
>>
>>  block/gluster.c      | 38 ++++++++++++++++-----------------
>>  block/nfs.c          |  4 ++--
>>  qapi/block-core.json |  8 +++----
>>  qemu-doc.texi        | 59
>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------
>>  qemu-options.hx      | 25 ++++++++++++++++++++--
>
> BlockdevOptionsGluster.debug(-level) does not have "Added in 2.8" so I
> had to dig through git-blame(1) to verify that it was indeed added in
> the current release cycle.

Then that implies we should add yet one more patch that adds the
appropriate versioning information to all the gluster fields added for
2.8.  My reviewed-by was given on the assumption that debug was in 2.7
and that this was a break from 2.7 behavior, but that we already KNOW
we're breaking blockdev-add between 2.7 and 2.8; while your argument is
that there is no backwards incompatibility because it was not in 2.7 to
begin with.  I think both reasons are indeed acceptable, but it also
means that my reason was flawed because of the incomplete documentation.

> In the future please make sure all QAPI changes are marked by version.

Indeed, and I try to flag it in my reviews as often as I notice it.