qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qmp: query-device-slots command

From: Marcel Apfelbaum
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qmp: query-device-slots command
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 16:15:18 +0200

On 12/13/2016 02:42 PM, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 12:04:17PM +0100, Markus Armbruster wrote:
Quick interface review only:

Eduardo Habkost <address@hidden> writes:

This adds a new command to QMP: query-device-slots. It will allow
management software to query possible slots where devices can be
plugged.

This implementation of the command will return:

* Multiple PCI slots per bus, in the case of PCI buses;
* One slot per bus in the case of the other buses;

Umm, that doesn't seem right.  For instance, a SCSI bus has multiple
slots.  The slot address is the SCSI ID.  An IDE bus may have one (SATA)
or two (PATA).  For more examples, see qdev-device-use.txt section
"Specifying Bus and Address on Bus".

Yes, I should have clarified that: this version changes only PCI
to expose multiple slots, but other buses also need be changed to
implement BusClass::enumerate_slots() properly, too.

* One slot for each entry from query-hotpluggable-cpus.
In the example below, I am not sure if the PCIe ports are all
supposed to report all slots, but I didn't find any existing
field in PCIBus that would help me figure out the actual number
of slots in a given PCI bus.

Git tree
--------

This patch needs the previous query-machines series I am working
on. The full tree can be found on the git tree at:

  git://github.com/ehabkost/qemu-hacks.git work/query-machines-bus-info

Example output
--------------

The following output was returned by QEMU when running it as:

 $ qemu-system-x86_64 -machine q35 \
   -readconfig docs/q35-chipset.cfg \
   -smp 4,maxcpus=8,sockets=2,cores=2,threads=2

 {
    "return": [

Are you sure >3000 lines of example output make sense here?

I'm not. :)

That's why I need feedback from the PCI experts. I believe most
of the PCI ports on q35 accept only one device, but I see no code
implementing that restriction, and no obvious PCIBus or
PCIBusClass field indicating that.

Hi,

Sadly there is no such restriction today as far as I know.
We trust the user that he knows what he is doing :)
and we let libvirt implement the restriction.

I do agree we should fix that.

Thanks,
Marcel

[...]