qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: How to make seccomp reliable and useful ?

From: Eduardo Otubo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: How to make seccomp reliable and useful ?
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 00:36:51 +0100

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 06=27=32PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> The current impl of seccomp in QEMU is intentionally allowing a huge range
> of system calls to be executed. The goal was that running '-sandbox on'
> should never break any feature of QEMU, so naturally any syscall that can
> executed on any codepath QEMU takes must be allowed.
>
> This is good for usability because users don't need to understand the
> technical
> details of the sandbox technology, they merely say "on" and it "just works".
> Conversely though, this is bad for security because QEMU has to allow a huge
> range of system calls to be used due to its broad functionality.
>
> During initial discussions for seccomp back in 2012 it was suggested, there
> might be alternate policies developed for QEMU which deny some features, but
> improve security overall. To best of my knowledge, this has never been
> discussed
> again since then.
>

> In addition, since initially merging, there has been a steady stream of
> patches
> to whitelist further syscalls that were missing. Some of these were missing
> due
> to newly added functionality in QEMU since the original seccomp impl, while
> others have been missing since day 1. It is reasonable to expect that there
> are
> still many syscalls missing in the whitelist. In just a couple of minutes of
> comparing the whitelist vs global syscall list it was possible to identify two
> further missing syscalls. The '-netdev bridge,br=virbr0' network backend fails
> because setuid is blocked, preventing execution of the qemu-bridge-helper
> program. If built against glibc < 2.9, or running on kernel < 2.6.27 it will
> fail to call eventfd() because we only permit eventfd2() syscall, not the
> older eventfd() syscall used on older Linux. Some ifup scripts used with the
> -netdev arg may also break due to lack of chmod, flock, getxattr permissions.
> This risk of missing syscalls is why -sandbox defaults to off, and we've never
> considered defaulting it to on.
>

> The fundamental problem is that building a whitelist of syscalls used by QEMU
> emulators is an intractable problem. QEMU on my system links to 183 different
> shared libraries and there is no way in the world that anyone can figure out
> which code paths QEMU triggers in these libraries and thus identify which
> syscalls will be genuinely needed.
>
> Thus a whitelist based approach for QEMU is doomed to always be missing some
> syscalls, resulting in uneccessary abrts of QEMU when it tickles some edge
> case. If you are lucky the abort() happens at startup so you see it quickly
> and can address it. If you are unlucky the abort() happens after your VM has
> been running for days/week/months and you loose data.
>
> IOW, seccomp integration as it currently exists today in QEMU offers minimal
> security benefits, while at the same time causing spurious crashes which may
> [...]

I'm not a student, thus not eligible GSoC person but I would be more
than grateful to take this initiative of yours and transform into some
patches so we can make this feature something really useful and
reliable.

Perhaps now is not the right time to terse comments on every idea you
gave, I agree with most of them. I wrote the whole implementation of
this feature but actually became the maintainer because people approving
sycalls and sending pull-requests were too busy, and I could do it. But
to be completely honest I had few poor ideas on how to improve it and
almost no time to actually do it in the past. Time passed by and all I
did was approve new syscalls and turn them into pull-requests.

Let's spin up these ideas and hopefully incorporate into Qemu. Next step
I'm gonna dig into every topic and draft a little more. I guess we can
keep on this thread, or perhaps in separate ones. From there I can start
to write some code.

Best regards,

--
Eduardo Otubo