qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Interconnect two qemu (Stellaris LM3S6965EVB) instances

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Interconnect two qemu (Stellaris LM3S6965EVB) instances via I2C
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 13:42:15 +0100

On 17/02/2017 13:27, Richard Peters wrote:
> Hi Community,
>
> The Qemu target 'LM3S6965EVB' supports I2C.
> I have two firmware versions for a LM3S6965EVB chip that i want to test
> with qemu. One is the master and the other is slave.
> They use I2C drivers for the LM3S6965EVB chip.

There is no solution for this and, in addition, QEMU's I2C controller
emulation only supports master mode.

I have long been thinking of adding support for I2C-to-chardev bridge,
where a QEMU device would connect to a character device backend
(typically a socket) and the data on the character device would
represent commands to/from an I2C slave.  Likewise, adding a character
device backend to an I2C controller, speaking the same protocol, would
make it possible to implement slave mode.  However, none of this is
available in QEMU.

The first step would be to implement some kind of asynchronous API in
I2CSlave, to be able to do clock stretching ("no data available on the
socket" would then stretch the clock).

Paolo