qemu-devel

Re: check-tcg errors (build-user, build-user-plugins) again

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: check-tcg errors (build-user, build-user-plugins) again
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 11:16:04 +0000

Claudio Fontana <cfontana@suse.de> writes:

> Hi Alex and all,
>
> when trying to use check-tcg (master), I am getting often these errors:
>
> $ ../configure --disable-system --disable-tools
>
> $ make -j12 check-tcg
>
> ERRO[0000] cannot find mappings for user claudio: No subgid ranges found for
> group "claudio" in /etc/subgid
> ERRO[0000] cannot find mappings for user claudio: No subgid ranges found for
> group "claudio" in /etc/subgid
> ERRO[0000] cannot find mappings for user claudio: No subgid ranges found for
> group "claudio" in /etc/subgid
> Trying to pull registry.gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/qemu/debian11...
> Trying to pull registry.gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/qemu/fedora-cris-cross...
> Trying to pull registry.gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/qemu/debian10...
> ERRO[0000] cannot find mappings for user claudio: No subgid ranges found for
> group "claudio" in /etc/subgid
>
> [...]
>   TEST    linux-test on x86_64
> timeout: failed to run command
> ‘/home/claudio/git/qemu/build/qemu-x86_64’timeout: : No such file or
> directoryfailed to run command ‘/home/claudio/git/qemu/build/qemu-x86_64’
>
> [...]
>

> Is there some pre-configuration on the host necessary to be able to
> run check-tcg?

There shouldn't be but those errors remind me of some of the tweaks I
had to make to me Gentoo system when using podman (instead of docker).
In the end I think I just ended up adding the lines:

  alex:100000:65536

to /etc/subgid and /etc/subgid-

Marc-André may have some better pointers as he added podman support to
the builder scripts.

The main difference between the images on the registry and the local
versions is most add the current user so there is a clean mapping
between the container user and the host file-system. It's the last step
of the build so we still use the cached layers from the registry
versions.

> I see these errors in gitlab also for
>
> build-user
> build-user-plugin
>
> Maybe this is what Philippe mentioned before though, that this is
> expected at the moment due to a temporary Meson shortcoming?

That is odd - I'm not seeing anything like that on the master builds:

  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/jobs/883985106
  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/jobs/883985113

AFAIK GitLab is still using Docker to build it's containers (albeit with
BUILDKIT enabled).

--
Alex Bennée