qemu-devel

Re: Status/future of QEMU bsd-user impl ? (Wea Re: [PULL 00/12] Compile

From: Warner Losh
Subject: Re: Status/future of QEMU bsd-user impl ? (Wea Re: [PULL 00/12] Compile QEMU with -Wimplicit-fallthrough)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 10:10:07 -0700

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 9:21 AM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 at 16:03, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 7:02 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:
>> I don't recall what happened after that initial discussion about
>> merging the new impl. Did Sean simply not have the time to invest
>> in the merge ? I'll CC him here to see what opinion he has on the
>> future of bsd-user in QEMU.
>

> I've actually taken over for Sean Bruno managing this.

> I'd love to hear from people ways that I can speed things up.

There was a bit of discussion about this on #qemu IRC the other
day, coincidentally. I think the conclusion we (upstream QEMU)
came to was that we'd be happy with a "delete all of bsd-user
and reinstate" approach, assuming that the "reinstate" part is
in reasonably logical chunks and not one big "here's what we
have all in one lump" patch.

AIUI from IRC this is being primarily driven by FreeBSD and
NetBSD/OpenBSD support is merely "we hope it is not broken
by the delete-and-reinstate but it was probably broken anyway" ?

Yea, I don't think it actually works for anything non-trivial on the other BSDs.

Warner