qemu-devel

Re: virtfs-proxy-helper fails due to bogus libattr test

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: virtfs-proxy-helper fails due to bogus libattr test
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 14:08:31 +0100

On 12/01/21 13:29, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
The -O0 might come from a pkg-config file

$BUILD_DIR/meson-logs/meson-log.txt

might show where it comes from.

It's added by Meson for compiler checks. It's useful for example for functions that are declared as const or pure, and would be optimized away by the compiler. However, it does not matter apart from causing a warning to show up in the logs.

(The warning is probably caused by -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 in the CFLAGS environment variable, though I cannot say that with certainty. QEMU is able to add -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE on its own).

If I do

$ CFLAGS='-O2 -g -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' ../configure --enable-attr

I get the same warning in the logs, and nevertheless the summary reports that the test is successful:

               ATTR/XATTR support: YES

as well as in config-host.h

#define CONFIG_ATTR
#undef CONFIG_LIBATTR

Unfortunately, from Olaf's report I cannot understand what the virtfs-proxy-helper failure is like (since no "make" log was included) or the exact details of the build environment (since no meson-logs/meson-log.txt is included). Olaf, can you expand on that?

Paolo