qemu-devel

Re: Call for Google Summer of Code 2021 project ideas

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: Call for Google Summer of Code 2021 project ideas
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 08:53:09 +0000

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 9:10 PM John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> wrote:
> I have one that is probably way too ambitious, but requires a particular
> skillset that might be of good interest to a student that has some
> experience in the area already.
>
> The idea is for a TUI qmp-shell (maybe using urwid?) to create an
> irssi-like REPL interface for QMP. The idea would be to mimic the
> mitmproxy TUI interface (Check it out if you haven't!)

Great, I think this project idea lends itself to an incremental
milestones. How far it gets will depend on the intern and we'll be
able to merge useful patches regardless of how far they take it.

Two more ideas:
1. Ability to load libvirt log files for offline viewing. This could
be a major use case for this tool because the raw libvirt logs can be
hard to read today.
2. Ability to watch QMP activity on a running QEMU process, e.g. even
when libvirt is directly connected to the monitor.

Stefan