qemu-devel

Re: Thread safety of coroutine-sigaltstack

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: Thread safety of coroutine-sigaltstack
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 16:14:21 +0100

On 21/01/21 10:27, Max Reitz wrote:

Sure, I can do that.

I agree that there probably are better solutions than to wrap everything in a lock.  OTOH, it looks to me like this lock is the most simple solution.  If Daniel is right[1] and we should drop coroutine-sigaltstack altogether (at some point...), perhaps it is best to go for the most simple solution now.

[1]
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-block/2021-01/msg00808.html

Yes, between coroutine-ucontext and the upcoming coroutine-asm[1] (which I have shelved because it was mostly a requirement for x86 CET; but it will come back some day), sooner or later there will be no reason to keep coroutine-sigaltstack. Porting coroutine-asm to a new architecture is easy, I even managed to do it for s390. ;)

Paolo

[1] https://patchew.org/QEMU/20190504120528.6389-1-pbonzini@redhat.com/