qemu-devel

Re: vnc clipboard support

From: Marc-André Lureau
Subject: Re: vnc clipboard support
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 15:58:00 +0400

Hi

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 3:24 PM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > Other ideas?
> > >

> > I also had recently some thoughts about how to implement clipboard sharing
> > in a more general way for QEMU.
> >
> > I admit I like Christophe's suggestion ("it's somebody else problem"), but
> > it falls short to me as I don't know of a common open-source remoting
> > solution for various operating systems, and I don't see how it could
> > integrate well with our UI and remote protocols. Or look at reusing some
> > VirtualBox code perhaps?
> >
> > Some things I keep in mind:
> > - the spice protocol had a number of iterations to fix some races. It would
> > be great not to repeat the same mistakes, and I don't know if VNC have the
> > same flaws or not.
> > - the spice agent design isn't great: the system agent proxies messages to
> > the active session. It would be nice if the new solution didn't have such a
> > middle-man.
>
> I was going to say that's a limtation of the use of virtio-serial, and
> to some extent that is true, but it is also not true. There is no reason
> it had to limit itselt to 1 virtio-serial device. It would have been
> valid to have 1 virtio-serial device for the system level functionality,
> and then 1 virtio-serial device per guest seat. Any guest OS configured
> for multi-seat is already going to have extra devices added to QEMU
> for each seat, so adding a virtio-serial device per seat would have
> been easy enough and avoided the crazy proxying.
>
> > - with wayland, clipboard sharing isn't really possible. Or not in a
> > seamless way at least. Today it kinda works with some X11 compatibility
> > extensions, but this will eventually go away or change behaviour.
> > - the GNOME desktop is working on remoting using RDP, and they are
> > implementing a DBus interface for it (
> > https://gitlab.gnome.org/jadahl/mutter/-/commits/wip/remote-desktop-clipboard
> > )
> > - it's not just about clipboard. We would also want to have some kind of
> > drag and drop (even if limited to files like Spice atm). We may want some
> > windowing integration. We may also want to have access to some desktop
> > services: apps, documents etc.. And what's not.
>
> Ultimately that all says we need a "remote desktop agent", which is
> extensible to other desktop integration features. Essentially that
> is what the spice agent was aiming to provide.
>
> > That leads me to think that virtio-serial is not very well suited, as it
> > doesn't allow various services / processes to come and go. I see vsock as a
> > much better alternative. (I also wonder if it handles control flow any
> > better btw)
>
> virtio-serial does make it a bit easier to have the host backend side
> self-contained in QEMU though. I think it is nice that nothing else on
> the host ever sees the agent backend, as it is a private internal channel
> between SPICE & QEMU's virtio-serial impl via the special chardev type.
>
> vsock gets exposed to the host OS in general, and though you

Not necessarily with vhost-user-vsock though.

> can have QEMU open the vsock device internally, it feels a bit silly to
> have one part of QEMU writing to a vsock device, and then another part
> of QEMU reading back from the very same device. Especially because you
> have now introduced the extra problem of having to allocate unique
> vsock addresses for each instance and deal with possibility of external
> apps maliciously trying to interact with your vsock backend.
>
> As above though, I think the way spice used virtio-serial was suboptimal
> and it should have had one extra virtio-serial device per seat.

And per service? and libvirt to hotplug stuff? Sounds insane to me.
And what about services that need to handle several connections in the
guest. For example, the way spice-webdavd works is really a pain, it
has to multiplex guest connections over virtio-serial... All of this
would be so much simpler with a single vsock connection and some kind
of bus.

> > I think we shoud work on getting the free desktops our best-class support.
> > To me, this means we need to speak the lingua franca, which is DBus. The
> > great thing is that DBus is also equipped to handle services that come and
> > go, handling discovery, introspection etc. Various services are already
> > available. As mentioned earlier, that's what the GNOME desktop will offer
> > for clipboard sharing. There are good chances other desktops will follow if
> > that design works, as it should be easy for them to implement the same
> > service. That means good reuse of existing desktop code. Speaking DBus on
> > Windows, MacOS or Android isn't an issue. However, vsock support may be a
> > bit tricky atm.
>
> Speaking DBus is only useful though if the guest desktop actually implements
> the DBus interfaces that we're speaking. The remote desktop clipboard work
> shown above is only going to be available on modern Linux guest OS, and
> possibly only a subset of them. IOW on the guest side, we're going to have
> to have platform specific backends to do the integration in whatever way
> is best suited for each OS. I see windows, macos, android, Wayland and
> X11 as distinct backends for the guest side.

Sure, this adaptation to various OS is needed regardless of DBus as a
protocol or not.

But we are in a much better position if we actually shape the future
and put our requirements there rather than playing a catch up game the
way desktop agents usually do. Iow, I think we need deeper integration
in the desktop. The good news is that we have pretty much the same
requirements has remote desktop solutions.

--
Marc-André Lureau