qemu-devel

Re: vnc clipboard support

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: vnc clipboard support
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 16:04:54 +0100

  Hi,

> Unless we para-virtualize the keyboard?

The main advantage of paste via key events is that it doesn't require
guest support.  Requiring any kind of software in the guest (paravirt
keyboard driver, agent figuring the keymap, whatever else) kills that
advantage.  And if we need guest cooperation anyway it is much better
to just read/write the guest clipboard directly.

Standard keyboard seems to not be an option either.  The HID specs
(https://usb.org/document-library/hid-usage-tables-121) lists a
Unicode Page (Section 18), which looks like it could be used to
send unicode chars to the guest.  Problem is (a) this is 16bit
only (so no emoji) and (b) widely unimplemented in guest OSes.

take care,
  Gerd