qemu-devel

Re: vnc clipboard support

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: vnc clipboard support
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 14:35:34 +0100

  Hi,

> The VNC protocol is way too crude. It is limited to transferring
> plain text, and provides no way to specify or negotiate a character
> set. The RFB spec says apps should use latin-1. In reality few, if any,
> impls do charset conversion so most Linux impls will be sending UTF8
> while Windows impls will be sending Windows Codepage 1252. It clearly
> shows its heritage of being designed in the 1990s.

Well, there is an extension which supports more than just text.  But it
is a small number of formats which clearly has window-ish background,
for example rich text format (windows wordpad) for formated text and dib
(aka windows device independant bitmap) for images.

Dunno how this looks on windows these days, but linux uses a combination
of legacy x11 naming and mime types for metadata.  When creating
something new I'd tend to also use mime types as they are an
established, os-independent standard.

take care,
  Gerd