qemu-devel

Re: FreeBSD build regressions

From: Warner Losh
Subject: Re: FreeBSD build regressions
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 09:08:18 -0700

First off, sorry for the hassles this caused... The problem is a failure to upgrade for reasons explained below... While the reasons make sense, it's still a bit of a hassle, for which I apologize.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 8:51 AM Gerd Hoffmann <gerd@kraxel.org> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 10:41:44AM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 at 10:39, Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > It looks like the build has been broken on Cirrus since at least 7b2c4c:
> >
> >   https://cirrus-ci.com/github/qemu/qemu
> >
> > I did attempt to have a look but "vm-build-freebsd" seems to be failing
> > with a different error
>
> FWIW the vm-build-freebsd build-and-test works for me, as I
> continue to run it as part of the merge tests. Is this something
> to do with whether you already have a freebsd image cached
> as opposed to it getting re-built from scratch (perhaps with
> a newer FreeBSD)?

The base image should be the same no matter what (updating that needs a
tests/vm/freebsd update which in turn triggers a rebuild).  The addon
package versions may differ though, so in case a broken package enters
the freebsd package repos it may happen that old, existing vm images
continue to work whereas newly created images don't ...

Trying to rebuild the freebsd image here results in this:

[ ... ]
### Installing packages ...
Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/quarterly, please wait...
Verifying signature with trusted certificate pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301... done
Installing pkg-1.16.1...
Newer FreeBSD version for package pkg:
To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
- package: 1202000                          <- freebsd 12.2 expected ?
- running kernel: 1201000                   <- freebsd 12.1 running ?
Ignore the mismatch and continue? [y/N]:

So it seems the freebsd 12.1 images tries to fetch 12.2 packages when
running "pkg install -y <list>", which would explain why they don't
work.

FreeBSD 12.1 images fetch the FreeBSD 12 packages. This works until FreeBSD 12.1 hits end of life and the packages are built on newer versions. There's no long-term support for releases once a new minor release happens. The economics of this quickly get out of hand as the testing matrix explodes and the number of machines needed to support all old versions (even on supported branches) would be prohibitively expensive.

Switching to freebsd 12.2 should solve this, at least until 12.3 is
released, but I'm wondering why the freebsd pkg utility fetches
incompatible packages in the first place and whenever there is any
way to avoid this ...

FreeBSD builds packages on the oldest supported version in the stable branch. Due to forward compatibility, that means all supported versions of FreeBSD 12.x will work. Recently, FreeBSD 12.1 became unsupported, so the build machines clicked forward to 12.2. Since there's no 'forward compatibility' guarantees, this problem was hit. While you can run binaries compiled on old versions of the software on new versions of the system, you can't necessarily do the inverse because new symbols are introduced (in this case close_range).

The base FreeBSD image should be rolled when new versions are released to avoid this issue. tests/vm/freebsd should be updated. I have a full morning, but if nobody has beat me to it, I'll submit a patch this afternoon to fix this and add it to my list of things to do when FreeBSD creates a new release.

Warner