qemu-devel

[RFC qemu.qmp PATCH 00/24] Python: Fork qemu.qmp Python lib into indepen

From: John Snow
Subject: [RFC qemu.qmp PATCH 00/24] Python: Fork qemu.qmp Python lib into independent repo
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 16:06:10 -0500

Hi, this series is part of an effort to publish the qemu.qmp package on
PyPI. It is the second of three series to complete this work:

    (1) Switch the new Async QMP library in to python/qemu/qmp
--> (2) Fork python/qemu/qmp out into its own repository,
        with updated GitLab CI/CD targets to build packages.
    (3) Update qemu.git to install qemu.qmp from PyPI,
        and then delete python/qemu/qmp.

This series is not meant to apply to qemu.git, rather -- it's the series
that performs the split and would apply to a brand new repository.

I am submitting it to the QEMU mailing list for these reasons:

(1) To more broadly announce my intentions, and as reference alongside
series #1 and #3 detailed above.

(2) To ask for permission to become the maintainer of a
'qemu-project/qemu.qmp' repository, where I would like to host this
subproject.

(3) To ask for review on the README.rst file which details my intended
contribution guidelines for this subproject.

(4) To ask for review on the .gitlab-ci.d/ files and other repo-level
CI/CD ephemera, including and especially the docs-building process.  I
think the generated docs are still ugly, and I'd like to upload them to
readthedocs, among other things -- hence the RFC quality of this series.

Some review/RFC notes:

- I use jsnow/qemu.qmp as the repo name throughout the series; that will
  have to be changed eventually, but for the purposes of prototyping, it
  was nicer to have a fully working series.

- I'm planning on using gitlab issues and MRs for the subproject.

- I plan to version this lib independently, starting at 0.0.1 for the
  initial public release and bumping only the micro version for every
  last release. I plan to bump the minor version once it hits a "beta"
  state. There will be no cross-versioning against QEMU. I don't plan to
  publish new releases during QEMU freezes.

- Check out a completed pipeline here:
  https://gitlab.com/jsnow/qemu.qmp/-/pipelines/430528258

  It offers build artifacts, junit xml artifacts and GitLab
  test-level-view into the avocado unit tests. The build container is
  uploaded to GitLab's container registry and can be used to reproduce
  potential build/packaging errors.

  Every pipeline will produce built python packages and upload them to
  the GitLab package repository, see
  https://gitlab.com/jsnow/qemu.qmp/-/packages

Known problems:

- Sphinx output is still subjectively ugly, with too many layers of
  nesting

- Docs are not yet uploaded anywhere (GitLab pages, readthedocs?)

- Tags on a commit trigger two pipelines; this causes one of the package
  builds to fail as the version number will be duplicated in this
  case. Not entirely sure how I want to fix this yet ...

~ Happy Holidays ~, --js.

John Snow (24):
  Fork qemu.qmp from qemu.git
  Update VERSION to 0.0.0a1
  Update maintainer metadata
  Update project description
  Update project URLs
  Move README.rst to INDEX.rst and update
  Move PACKAGE.rst to README.rst and update
  Update Pipfile.lock
  Remove sub-dependency pins from Pipfile
  Add build and test container to gitlab CI configuration
  Add package build step to GitLab CI
  GitLab CI: Add check-dco script
  GitLab CI: Add pipenv and tox tests
  GitLab CI: Add avocado junit XML output to tests
  GitLab CI: Publish python packages to GitLab package repo
  Add setuptools_scm package versioning
  Makefile: add build and publish targets
  add Sphinx documentation config stub
  python: configure sphinx
  python: adjust apidoc stubs
  Fix doc cross-reference regressions
  docs: add Makefile target
  docs: add doc build to GitLab CI build step
  v0.0.1

 .gitignore                     |   2 +-
 .gitlab-ci.d/build.yml         |  14 ++
 .gitlab-ci.d/check-dco.py      |  98 ++++++++++
 .gitlab-ci.d/containers.yml    |  28 +++
 .gitlab-ci.d/index.yml         |  14 ++
 .gitlab-ci.d/publish.yml       |  11 ++
 .gitlab-ci.d/python.Dockerfile |  35 ++++
 .gitlab-ci.d/test.yml          |  74 ++++++++
 .gitlab-ci.yml                 |   3 +
 INDEX.rst                      |  64 +++++++
 MANIFEST.in                    |   4 +-
 Makefile                       |  54 +++++-
 PACKAGE.rst                    |  43 -----
 Pipfile                        |   4 +-
 Pipfile.lock                   | 314 ++++++++++++++++++---------------
 README.rst                     | 219 ++++++++++++++---------
 VERSION                        |   1 -
 avocado.cfg                    |   7 +
 docs/Makefile                  |  20 +++
 docs/conf.py                   | 107 +++++++++++
 docs/index.rst                 |  21 +++
 docs/make.bat                  |  35 ++++
 docs/qemu.qmp.error.rst        |   8 +
 docs/qemu.qmp.events.rst       |   7 +
 docs/qemu.qmp.legacy.rst       |   7 +
 docs/qemu.qmp.message.rst      |   8 +
 docs/qemu.qmp.models.rst       |   8 +
 docs/qemu.qmp.protocol.rst     |   9 +
 docs/qemu.qmp.qmp_client.rst   |   8 +
 docs/qemu.qmp.rst              |  24 +++
 docs/qemu.qmp.util.rst         |   8 +
 qemu/qmp/legacy.py             |   4 +-
 setup.cfg                      |  41 ++---
 setup.py                       |  13 +-
 create mode 100644 .gitlab-ci.d/build.yml
 create mode 100755 .gitlab-ci.d/check-dco.py
 create mode 100644 .gitlab-ci.d/containers.yml
 create mode 100644 .gitlab-ci.d/index.yml
 create mode 100644 .gitlab-ci.d/publish.yml
 create mode 100644 .gitlab-ci.d/python.Dockerfile
 create mode 100644 .gitlab-ci.d/test.yml
 create mode 100644 .gitlab-ci.yml
 create mode 100644 INDEX.rst
 delete mode 100644 PACKAGE.rst
 delete mode 100644 VERSION
 create mode 100644 docs/Makefile
 create mode 100644 docs/conf.py
 create mode 100644 docs/index.rst
 create mode 100644 docs/make.bat
 create mode 100644 docs/qemu.qmp.error.rst
 create mode 100644 docs/qemu.qmp.events.rst
 create mode 100644 docs/qemu.qmp.legacy.rst
 create mode 100644 docs/qemu.qmp.message.rst
 create mode 100644 docs/qemu.qmp.models.rst
 create mode 100644 docs/qemu.qmp.protocol.rst
 create mode 100644 docs/qemu.qmp.qmp_client.rst
 create mode 100644 docs/qemu.qmp.rst
 create mode 100644 docs/qemu.qmp.util.rst

--
2.31.1