Re: how to debug/analyze qemu code while running OS on the virtual machi

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: how to debug/analyze qemu code while running OS on the virtual machine?
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 11:01:55 +0100

On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 10:16, <ckim@etri.re.kr> wrote:

> Sorry, I soon found when I run the application on the OS, the breakpoint work
> in the debugger and the debugger command and source window comes back.
>
> I need to occasionally type ctrl-l to see the source code clearly.

You can also use any of the standard gdb mechanisms for putting
a commandline debuggee in a different terminal to the gdb,
including (a) using gdb's --tty argument to say "put the
application's terminal i/o into this other tty" or
(b) using gdbserver (the gdb one, not QEMU's gdbstub) to run
the debuggee and attaching gdb to that debuggee or
(c) running the QEMU process standalone and then running
gdb in a second terminal to attach to that process using
'gdb path/to/executable pid'.

None of this is QEMU specific, so you should be able to find
some useful info out there on the web.

thanks
-- PMM