missing info in the document for qemu networking (where to find linux-te

From: ckim
Subject: missing info in the document for qemu networking (where to find linux-test-xxx.tar.gz)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 11:51:59 +0900

Hello list members,

I thought I’d better setup TAP networking for qemu to solve my problem.

I’ve used qemu with TAP networking several years ago and can find some information on the internet but wish there were a kind information on the official qemu document site.

(I think there are some old or wrong data on the internet)

In the main qemu document page (https://qemu-project.gitlab.io/qemu/), when I follow the Device Emulation -> Network emulation I see information on TAP networking.

But there is not much information. And the main invocation section is just a list of explanations about all the options so I’m frightened to start reading it.

And another problem is that the document isn’t maintained well. (I know qemu people are busy with developments themselves and I’m grateful to them)

Anyway, in the TAP networking document, (https://qemu-project.gitlab.io/qemu/system/devices/net.html), it says

“As an example, you can download the linux-test-xxx.tar.gz archive and copy the script qemu-ifup in /etc and configure properly sudo so that the command ifconfig contained in qemu-ifup can be executed as root.”

Could anyone direct me where I can get this linux-test-xx.tar.gz? (example tap setup/tear-down script).

Thanks for any help!

Chan Kim