Re: qemu-system-arm sharing host disk using virtiofsd

From: Dave Turvene - Work
Subject: Re: qemu-system-arm sharing host disk using virtiofsd
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 11:16:20 -0400

On 8/29/21 4:55 PM, Dave Turvene - Work wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> I'm not sure this is the best group to ask the following question but
> I'll start here.
>
> I use qemu to develop openwrt code.  I currently use a 9p mount to share
> my code/cross-compile directory to the arm guest in order to run/test
> the code.  openwrt uses the musl library so this works pretty well.
>
> I use Ubuntu 18.04 for host, qemu 5.1, openwrt 19.07 for guest. I
> configure/make both the qemu executable and openwrt kernel/rootfs.
>
> My research indicates virtiofsd is now the preferred way to share host
> dirs to the guest and I see points in the qemu 5.1 code that reference
> virtiofsd.
>
> * https://qemu.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tools/virtiofsd.html
>
> * There is a $Q_TOP/tools/virtiofsd directory which is empty.
>
> *  `find . -name "Makefile*" | xargs grep virtiofsd` shows a lot of hits.
>
> I cannot figure out how to create virtiofsd using my QEMU 5.1 source
> tree.  And the instructions at
> `https://virtio-fs.gitlab.io/howto-qemu.html` fail spectatularly.
>
> I must be missing something obvious; please point me in the right
> direction.  9P still works fine so I'm not interested in spending a lot
> of time on this.
>
> Dave Turvene

Just to follow up for closure.  I was missing something

1) configure flags:

    --enable-seccomp \
    --enable-cap-ng \

2) a current version of libseccomp-dev: apt-get install libseccomp-dev

BTW, the config-host.mak generated file was instrumental in diagnosing
this.  I have not explored it in the past.

David Turvene