Re: Unpredictable performance degradation in QEMU KVMs

From: Frantisek Rysanek
Subject: Re: Unpredictable performance degradation in QEMU KVMs
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 23:13:02 +0200

...I forgot to mention CPU temperatures and frequencies.
When overheating, modern CPU's try to limit power consumption by
throttling the clock rate.

The temperatures can be read at the cmdline from /sys/class/hwmon,
provided that you have the right drivers loaded (for Intel CPU's I'd
say "modprobe coretemp"). Not sure about the turbo frequencies, but
while looking for details, I've found out that the "sysstat" package
apparently has some very nice tools for that - namely, take a look at
what data the "sar" tool can collect:
https://github.com/sysstat/sysstat

Frank