Re: I want to know how to use more CPUs and it is possible in newer vers

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: I want to know how to use more CPUs and it is possible in newer version ?
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 15:57:56 +0100

Георги Банов <globalwebdesignbg@gmail.com> writes:

> I want to know how to use more CPUs and if it is possible in newer versions ?
>
> I have an android phone with MIUI 11 version, model Xiaomi Redmi 7 Lite 4GB
> of RAM 8 CPUs.
> The question is which option / settings in Limbo to choose to use more cpu
> for real ?
> What are the best options for maximum performance and speed in Limbo ?
> I want to use Windows 7 Professional (
> https://archive.org/download/windows-7x-86-supernano-final ).
>
> That is all I want to know, can you help me answer my questions please
> !?

I think what you are asking is can you use more ARM CPUs on your host to
emulate multiple x86 CPUs in your guest?

The answer is you can't as the x86 has a stronger memory model than ARM
hence barriers and atomics wouldn't behave as expected with multiple
threads. For this reason the TCG code automatically selects
single-threaded round-robin emulation.

On the command line you can force --accel tcg,thread=multi but it will
complain about it and it's likely you get weird errors in your guest.

--
Alex Bennée