configure --extra-cflags and --extra-ldflags values not propagating to m

From: Owen LaGarde
Subject: configure --extra-cflags and --extra-ldflags values not propagating to meson?
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 07:36:17 -0400

Am I using --extra-cflags and --extra-ldflags wrong in the configure call?

I'd like to source build several pre-reqs specific to supporting the qemu source
build.  I'd specifically not like to install neither the qemu or re-req builds
at the system level.  Normally I'd expect the --extra-cflags and --extra-ldflags
configure options to do this but they do not appear to propagate to meson.  There
was an approved meson patch back in 2018 for extra-cflags / extra-ldflags and qemu
is currently using meson >5.8(?) but it doesn't look like configure is adding the
args anywhere in the build tree.  There are a number of ways to do this, what's
appropriate / future-proof wrt building qemu from source?  And why is configure
supporting --extra-[c,ld]args but not doing anything with the values?

---------

As an example assume I've installed lzfse from source with a homedir prefix, no
other copies elsewhere, no ldconfig reference, no associated env vars, and force
the qemu build to require it.  Yeah, but this is just an dumb example.

    $ ls -l ~/include/* ~/lib/*
    /home/olagarde/include/lzfse.h
    /home/olagarde/lib/liblzfse.so

    $ env |grep -i flags

    $ set |grep -i flags

        local flags_color="$c_lblue";
            s="$flags_color$s";

    $ git clone https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu.git

        <...snipsnip...>

    $ mkdir qemu/build && cd qemu/build

    $ ../configure --prefix=/home/olagarde \
        --extra-cflags="-I /home/olagarde/include" \
        --extra-ldflags="-L /home/olagarde/lib" \
        --enable-lzfse

        <...snipsnip...>
        ../meson.build:898:2: ERROR: C header 'lzfse.h' not found
        A full log can be found at {a_really_long_path}meson-log.txt
        ERROR: meson setup failed

Per the meson logs the command was

    cc -m64 -mcx16 {a_really_long_path}testfile.c -E -P \
        -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -P -O0 -std=gnu11

and the testfile.c was

    #ifdef __has_include
     #if !__has_include("lzfse.h")
      #error "Header 'lzfse.h' could not be found"
     #endif
    #else
     #include <lzfse.h>
    #endif

which obviously should fail exactly as it did, but should and does succeed
if the --extra-cflags value is added to the cc call.

All four args arrays in the config-meson.cross are empty so configure
didn't pass the cli extra-args in?  Also 'find' doesn't report any files
in the tree containing /home/olagarde/include or /home/olagarde/lib, so
the option values passed to configure never made it into mesa (or anything
else)?