qemu-riscv

Re: About RISCV’s Performance Counters and QEMU

From: ELIO VINCIGUERRA
Subject: Re: About RISCV’s Performance Counters and QEMU
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 05:47:15 +0000

Great, thank you for the comprehensive answer.

Regards,
Elio
Il 6 dic 2023, 2:21 AM +0100, Atish Patra <atishp@atishpatra.org>, ha scritto:
On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 4:56 AM Elio Vinciguerra <eliovinciguerra@me.com> wrote:

Thanks for your answer, do you know if the working ones return actual or random numbers?

It depends on your definition of reality :). For cycle/insteret, it
returns host_ticks by default.
For the other three events, we rely on the riscv_cpu_tlb_fill() function.

Both cases it is not close to what you would actually see in hardware.
However, we need something
to build the software ecosystem in absence of real hardware.

I don't know your requirements for running in Qemu. However, if you
can use real silicon, there are few
RISC-V hardware that have decent support for PMU.
HiFive unleashed, Alibaba D1 and Andes AX45MP core (with inflight patches)

And do you know if it is easily possible to implement the actual behavior of other counters?

You mean events ? AFAIK, the problem is there is no easy way to
emulate any other event. I would be happy to be proven wrong though.
Once you find a way to emulate other events, supporting them is pretty easy.

Regards,
Elio