qemu-riscv

Re: [RFC v2 2/2] hw/riscv: Add server platform reference machine

From: Marcin Juszkiewicz
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 2/2] hw/riscv: Add server platform reference machine
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 08:14:22 +0100

W dniu 22.03.2024 o 05:55, Alistair Francis pisze:
I see no mention of device trees in the spec, but I do see ACPI. Do we
really expect a server platform to use DTs?

This platform "kind of" follows sbsa-ref where we have very minimalistic device tree sharing information qemu->firmware.

libfdt is small, format is known and describes hardware. Firmware is free to make use of it in any way it wants.

On sbsa-ref we parse DT in TF-A (base firmware) and provide hardware information to higher level (edk2) via SMC mechanism. Then EDK2 creates ACPI tables and provide them to the Operating System.

In physical system some parts of information provided in DT would be read by firmware from onboard Embedded Controller chip.

These functions should be shared with the virt machine if we really do
want DTs, but I'm not convinced we do